Melcares Manuka Wound Gel is a sterile antibacterial honey gel made from Leptospermum sp. (Manuka) honey (80%) and a natural emollient for ease of application and patient comfort.
In Vitro studies (George et al 2007) have shown that Leptospermum sp (Manuka) honey is effective against bacteria commonly found in wounds including: e Klebsiella pneumoniae
In a 105 patient randomized controlled trial (Robson et al 2009) in which patients received either a conventional wound dressing or Leptospermum sp (Manuka) honey, the average healing time of the honey group was 29% faster.
Instructions For Use
Melcares Manuka Wound Gel is a sterile dressing made from Leptospermum sp. honey (80%), plant derived hydrocolloids and a natural oil.
Manuka Wound Gel is indicated as a contact layer for wounds such as:
Directions For Use
1. Inspect and clean the wound using standard techniques.
2. Open by reversing cap and twisting off top.
3. Manuka Wound Gel should be applied liberally (e.g. for a 10cm x 10cm wound apply 20-25g of Manuka Wound Gel).
4. Manuka Wound Gel can be applied either directly to the wound or to a suitable dressing.
5. Avoid direct contact with the nozzle of the tube.
6. A non-adherent gauze should be applied to cover the Manuka Wound Gel with additional secondary dressings applied as required for absorbance of wound exudate.
7. Wound margins can be protected by a suitable barrier cream (Melcares Derma Care)
8. The frequency of changing will depend on the clinical circumstances and this can vary from more than once per day for draining wounds to up to 7 days for unsoiled dressings.
9. Manuka Wound Gel can be removed from the wound by rinsing with clean saline or tap water at dressing change.
Manuka Wound Gel provides natural debridement of the wound. The wound may therefore appear larger after the initial dressing change. The honey present in Manuka Wound Gel will be gradually diluted by exudate and absorbed into the secondary dressing.
Wounds subject to arterial insufficiency, diabetic conditions or signs of infection should be managed by a healthcare professional. Any experience of a reaction other than a short lasting stinging sensation, remove the dressing and wash the affected area. Not for use on heavily exudating wounds. Manuka Wound Gel is not recommended for body cavities. DO NOT use on patients with known hypersensitivity to honey. In the event of a slow or non-responding wound please seek medical advice.
Standard Parcels (under 3kg) over $99 = FREE!
Parcels under 3kg & under $99 = $7.95
Parcels over 3kg or bulky over $99 = $12.95
Parcels over 3kg or bulky under $99 = $16.95
We offer Express Shipping for parcels up to 3kg
Parcels under 1kg = $12.95
Parcels between 1-3kg = $16.95
- Express shipping is not available to PO Box addresses.
- Signature is required on delivery.
Your Discount Chemist use Australia Post to deliver standard parcels and Toll Priority for express shipping requests.
Parcels arrive within 3-7 business days.
Express shipped parcels arrive within 1-3 business days (this may be slightly longer for remote country areas).
International orders other than New Zealand will be charged at the cost price. Once you place your order one of our staff will email you with the cost of delivery, you have the option of agreeing and proceeding with the order or declining and receiving a full refund. Note: Perfumes cannot be sent overseas.
Your Discount Chemist use DHL for international orders.
New Zealand Shipping Rates:
Parcels up to 500g = $12.95
Parcels between 0.5-1kg = $24.95
Parcels between 1-1.5kg = $29.95
Parcels between 1.5-2kg = $39.95
Parcels between 2-2.5kg = $44.95
Parcels between 2.5-3kg = $49.95
All New Zealand orders over 3kg will be charged at cost - we will email you after you complete your order.
Click here for more detailed information regarding shipping.